The Complete Works of



George Orwell > Homage to Catalonia > Chapter 7

Homage to Catalonia

Chapter 7

ONE afternoon Benjamin told us that he wanted fifteen volunteers. The attack
on the Fascist redoubt which had been called off on the previous occasion was to
be carried out tonight. I oiled my ten Mexican cartridges, dirtied my bayonet
(the things give your position away if they flash too much), and packed up a
hunk of bread, three inches of red sausage, and a cigar which my wife had sent
from Barcelona and which I had been hoarding for a long time. Bombs were served
out, three to a man. The Spanish Government had at last succeeded in producing a
decent bomb. It was on the principle of a Mills bomb, but with two pins instead
of one. After you had pulled the pins out there was an interval of seven seconds
before the bomb exploded. Its chief disadvantage was that one pin was very stiff
and the other very loose, so that you had the choice of leaving both pins in
place and being unable to pull the stiff one out in a moment of emergency, or
pulling out the stiff one beforehand and being in a constant stew lest the thing
should explode in your pocket. But it was a handy little bomb to throw.

A little before midnight Benjamin led the fifteen of us down to Torre Fabian.
Ever since evening the rain had been pelting down. The irrigation ditches were
brimming over, and every time you stumbled into one you were in water up to your
waist. In the pitch darkness and sheeting rain in the farm-yard a dim mass of
men was waiting. Kopp addressed us, first in Spanish, then in English, and
explained the plan of attack. The Fascist line here made an L-bend and the
parapet we were to attack lay on rising ground at the corner of the L. About
thirty of us, half English, and half Spanish, under the command of Jorge Roca,
our battalion commander (a battalion in the militia was about four hundred men),
and Benjamin, were to creep up and cut the Fascist wire. Jorge would fling the
first bomb as a signal, then the rest of us were to send in a rain of bombs,
drive the Fascists out of the parapet, and seize it before they could rally.
Simultaneously seventy Shock Troopers were to assault the next Fascist
'position', which lay two hundred yards to the right of the other, joined to it
by a communication-trench. To prevent us from shooting each other in the
darkness white armlets would be worn. At this moment a messenger arrived to say
that there were no white armlets. Out of the darkness a plaintive voice
suggested: 'Couldn't we arrange for the Fascists to wear white armlets

There was an hour or two to put in. The barn over the mule stable was so
wrecked by shell-fire that you could not move about in it without a light. Half
the floor had been torn away by a plunging shell and there was a twenty-foot
drop on to the stones beneath. Someone found a pick and levered a burst plank
out of the floor, and in a few minutes we had got a fire alight and our drenched
clothes were steaming. Someone else produced a pack of cards. A rumour--one of
those mysterious rumours that are endemic in war--flew round that hot coffee
with brandy in it was about to be served out. We filed eagerly down the
almost-collapsing staircase and wandered round the dark yard, inquiring where
the coffee was to be found. Alas! there was no coffee. Instead, they called us
together, ranged us into single file, and then Jorge and Benjamin set off
rapidly into the darkness, the rest of us following.

It was still raining and intensely dark, but the wind had dropped. The mud
was unspeakable. The paths through the beet-fields were simply a succession of
lumps, as slippery as a greasy pole, with huge pools everywhere. Long before we
got to the place where we were to leave our own parapet everyone had fallen
several times and our rifles were coated with mud. At the parapet a small knot
of men, our reserves, were waiting, and the doctor and a row of stretchers. We
filed through the gap in the parapet and waded through another irrigation ditch.
Splash-gurgle! Once again in water up to your waist, with the filthy, slimy mud
oozing over your boot-tops. On the grass outside Jorge waited till we were all
through. Then, bent almost double, he began creeping slowly forward. The Fascist
parapet was about a hundred and fifty yards away. Our one chance of getting
there was to move without noise.

I was in front with Jorge and Benjamin. Bent double, but with faces raised,
we crept into the almost utter darkness at a pace that grew slower at every
step. The rain beat lightly in our faces. When I glanced back I could see the
men who were nearest to me, a bunch of humped shapes like huge black mushrooms
gliding slowly forward. But every time I raised my head Benjamin, close beside
me, whispered fiercely in my ear: 'To keep ze head down! To keep ze head down!'
I could have told him that he needn't worry. I knew by experiment that on a dark
night you can never see a man at twenty paces. It was far more important to go
quietly. If they once heard us we were done for. They had only to spray the
darkness with their machine-gun and there was nothing for it but to run or be

But on the sodden ground it was almost impossible to move quietly. Do what
you would your feet stuck to the mud, and every step you took was slop-slop,
slop-slop. And the devil of it was that the wind had dropped, and in spite of
the rain it was a very quiet night. Sounds would carry a long way. There was a
dreadful moment when I kicked against a tin and thought every Fascist within
miles must have heard it. But no, not a sound, no answering shot, no movement in
the Fascist lines. We crept onwards, always more slowly. I cannot convey to you
the depth of my desire to get there. Just to get within bombing distance before
they heard us! At such a time you have not even any fear, only a tremendous
hopeless longing to get over the intervening ground. I have felt exactly the
same thing when stalking a wild animal; the same agonized desire to get within
range, the same dreamlike certainty that it is impossible. And how the distance
stretched out! I knew the ground well, it was barely a hundred and fifty yards,
and yet it seemed more like a mile. When you are creeping at that pace you are
aware as an ant might be of the enormous variations in the ground; the splendid
patch of smooth grass here, the evil patch of sticky mud there, the tall
rustling reeds that have got to be avoided, the heap of stones that almost makes
you give up hope because it seems impossible to get over it without noise.

We had been creeping forward for such an age that I began to think we had
gone the wrong way. Then in the darkness thin parallel lines of something
blacker were faintly visible. It was the outer wire (the Fascists had two lines
of wire). Jorge knelt down, fumbled in his pocket. He had our only pair of
wire-cutters. Snip, snip. The trailing stuff was lifted delicately aside. We
waited for the men at the back to close up. They seemed to be making a frightful
noise. It might be fifty yards to the Fascist parapet now. Still onwards, bent
double. A stealthy step, lowering your foot as gently as a cat approaching a
mousehole; then a pause to listen; then another step. Once I raised my head; in
silence Benjamin put his hand behind my neck and pulled it violently down. I
knew that the inner wire was barely twenty yards from the parapet. It seemed to
me inconceivable that thirty men could get there unheard. Our breathing was
enough to give us away. Yet somehow we did get there. The Fascist parapet was
visible now, a dim black mound, looming high above us. Once again Jorge knelt
and fumbled. Snip, snip. There was no way of cutting the stuff silently.

So that was the inner wire. We crawled through it on all fours and rather
more rapidly. If we had time to deploy now all was well. Jorge and Benjamin
crawled across to the right. But the men behind, who were spread out, had to
form into single file to get through the narrow gap in the wire, and just as
this moment there was a flash and a bang from the Fascist parapet. The sentry
had heard us at last. Jorge poised himself on one knee and swung his arm like a
bowler. Crash! His bomb burst somewhere over the parapet. At once, far more
promptly than one would have thought possible, a roar of fire, ten or twenty
rifles, burst out from the Fascist parapet. They had been waiting for us after
all. Momentarily you could see every sand-bag in the lurid light. Men too far
back were flinging their bombs and some of them were falling short of the
parapet. Every loophole seemed to be spouting jets of flame. It is always
hateful to be shot at in the dark--every rifle--flash seems to be pointed
straight at yourself--but it was the bombs that were the worst. You cannot
conceive the horror of these things till you have seen one burst close to you in
darkness; in the daytime there is only the crash of the explosion, in the
darkness there is the blinding red glare as well. I had flung myself down at the
first volley. All this while I was lying on my side in the greasy mud, wrestling
savagely with the pin of a bomb. The damned thing would not come out. Finally I
realized that I was twisting it in the wrong direction. I got the pin out, rose
to my knees, hurled the bomb, and threw myself down again. The bomb burst over
to the right, outside the parapet; fright had spoiled my aim. Just at this
moment another bomb burst right in front of me, so close that I could feel the
heat of the explosion. I flattened myself out and dug my face into the mud so
hard that I hurt my neck and thought that I was wounded. Through the din I heard
an English voice behind me say quietly: 'I'm hit.' The bomb had, in fact,
wounded several people round about me without touching myself. I rose to my
knees and flung my second bomb. I forget where that one went.

The Fascists were firing, our people behind were firing, and I was very
conscious of being in the middle. I felt the blast of a shot and realized that a
man was firing from immediately behind me. I stood up and shouted at him:

'Don't shoot at me, you bloody fool!' At this moment I saw that Benjamin, ten
or fifteen yards to my right, was motioning to me with his arm. I ran across to
him. It meant crossing the line of spouting loop-holes, and as I went I clapped
my left hand over my cheek; an idiotic gesture--as though one's hand could stop
a bullet!--but I had a horror of being hit in the face. Benjamin was kneeling
on one knee with a pleased, devilish sort of expression on his face and firing
carefully at the rifle-flashes with his automatic pistol. Jorge had dropped
wounded at the first volley and was somewhere out of sight. I knelt beside
Benjamin, pulled the pin out of my third bomb and flung it. Ah! No doubt about
it that time. The bomb crashed inside the parapet, at the corner, just by the
machine-gun nest.

The Fascist fire seemed to have slackened very suddenly. Benjamin leapt to
his feet and shouted: 'Forward! Charge!' We dashed up the short steep slope on
which the parapet stood. I say 'dashed'; 'lumbered' would be a better word; the
fact is that you can't move fast when you are sodden and mudded from head to
foot and weighted down with a heavy rifle and bayonet and a hundred and fifty
cartridges. I took it for granted that there would be a Fascist waiting for me
at the top. If he fired at that range he could not miss me, and yet somehow I
never expected him to fire, only to try for me with his bayonet. I seemed to
feel in advance the sensation of our bayonets crossing, and I wondered whether
his arm would be stronger than mine. However, there was no Fascist waiting. With
a vague feeling of relief I found that it was a low parapet and the sand-bags
gave a good foothold. As a rule they are difficult to get over. Everything
inside was smashed to pieces, beams flung all over the place, and great shards
of uralite littered everywhere. Our bombs had wrecked all the huts and dug-outs.
And still there was not a soul visible. I thought they would be lurking
somewhere underground, and shouted in English (I could not think of any Spanish
at the moment): 'Come on out of it! Surrender!' No answer. Then a man, a shadowy
figure in the half-light, skipped over the roof of one of the ruined huts and
dashed away to the left. I started after him, prodding my bayonet ineffectually
into the darkness. As I rounded the comer of the hut I saw a man--I don't know
whether or not it was the same man as I had seen before--fleeing up the
communication-trench that led to the other Fascist position. I must have been
very close to him, for I could see him clearly. He was bareheaded and seemed to
have nothing on except a blanket which he was clutching round his shoulders. If
I had fired I could have blown him to pieces. But for fear of shooting one
another we had been ordered to use only bayonets once we were inside the
parapet, and in any case I never even thought of firing. Instead, my mind leapt
backwards twenty years, to our boxing instructor at school, showing me in vivid
pantomime how he had bayoneted a Turk at the Dardanelles. I gripped my rifle by
the small of the butt and lunged at the man's back. He was just out of my reach.
Another lunge: still out of reach. And for a little distance we proceeded like
this, he rushing up the trench and I after him on the ground above, prodding at
his shoulder-blades and never quite getting there--a comic memory for me to
look back upon, though I suppose it seemed less comic to him.

Of course, he knew the ground better than I and had soon slipped away from
me. When I came back the position was full of shouting men. The noise of firing
had lessened somewhat. The Fascists were still pouring a heavy fire at us from
three sides, but it was coming from a greater distance.

We had driven them back for the time being. I remember saying in an oracular
manner: 'We can hold this place for half an hour, not more.' I don't know why I
picked on half an hour. Looking over the right-hand parapet you could see
innumerable greenish rifle-flashes stabbing the darkness; but they were a long
way back, a hundred or two hundred yards. Our job now was to search the position
and loot anything that was worth looting. Benjamin and some others were already
scrabbling among the ruins of a big hut or dug-out in the middle of the
position. Benjamin staggered excitedly through the ruined roof, tugging at the
rope handle of an ammunition box.

'Comrades! Ammunition! Plenty ammunition here!'

'We don't want ammunition,' said a voice, 'we want rifles.'

This was true. Half our rifles were jammed with mud and unusable. They could
be cleaned, but it is dangerous to take the bolt out of a rifle in the darkness;
you put it down somewhere and then you lose it. I had a tiny electric torch
which my wife had managed to buy in Barcelona, otherwise we had no light of any
description between us. A few men with good rifles began a desultory fire at the
flashes in the distance. No one dared fire too rapidly; even the best of the
rifles were liable to jam if they got too hot. There were about sixteen of us
inside the parapet, including one or two who were wounded. A number of wounded,
English and Spanish, were lying outside. Patrick O'Hara, a Belfast Irishman who
had had some training in first-aid, went to and fro with packets of bandages,
binding up the wounded men and, of course, being shot at every time he returned
to the parapet, in spite of his indignant shouts of 'Poum!'

We began searching the position. There were several dead men lying about, but
I did not stop to examine them. The thing I was after was the machine-gun. All
the while when we were lying outside I had been wondering vaguely why the gun
did not fire. I flashed my torch inside the machine-gun nest. A bitter
disappointment! The gun was not there. Its tripod was there, and various boxes
of ammunition and spare parts, but the gun was gone. They must have unscrewed it
and carried it off at the first alarm. No doubt they were acting under orders,
but it was a stupid and cowardly thing to do, for if they had kept the gun in
place they could have slaughtered the whole lot of us. We were furious. We had
set our hearts on capturing a machine-gun.

We poked here and there but did not find anything of much value. There were
quantities of Fascist bombs lying about--a rather inferior type of bomb, which
you touched off by pulling a string--and I put a couple of them in my pocket as
souvenirs. It was impossible not to be struck by the bare misery of the Fascist
dug-outs. The litter of spare clothes, books, food, petty personal belongings
that you saw in our own dug-outs was completely absent; these poor unpaid
conscripts seemed to own nothing except blankets and a few soggy hunks of bread.
Up at the far end there was a small dug-out which was partly above ground and
had a tiny window. We flashed the torch through the window and instantly raised
a cheer. A cylindrical object in a leather case, four feet high and six inches
in diameter, was leaning against the wall. Obviously the machine-gun barrel. We
dashed round and got in at the doorway, to find that the thing in the leather
case was not a machine-gun but something which, in our weapon-starved army, was
even more precious. It was an enormous telescope, probably of at least sixty or
seventy magnifications, with a folding tripod. Such telescopes simply did not
exist on our side of the line and they were desperately needed. We brought it
out in triumph and leaned it against the parapet, to be carried off after.

At this moment someone shouted that the Fascists were closing in. Certainly
the din of firing had grown very much louder. But it was obvious that the
Fascists would not counter-attack from the right, which meant crossing no man's
land and assaulting their own parapet. If they had any sense at all they would
come at us from inside the line. I went round to the other side of the dug-outs.
The position was roughly horseshoe-shaped, with the dug-outs in the middle, so
that we had another parapet covering us on the left. A heavy fire was coming
from that direction, but it did not matter greatly. The danger-spot was straight
in front, where there was no protection at all. A stream of bullets was passing
just overhead. They must be coming from the other Fascist position farther up
the line; evidently the Shock Troopers had not captured it after all. But this
time the noise was deafening. It was the unbroken, drum-like roar of massed
rifles which I was used to hearing from a little distance; this was the first
time I had been in the middle of it. And by now, of course, the firing had
spread along the line for miles around. Douglas Thompson, with a wounded arm
dangling useless at his side, was leaning against the parapet and firing
one-handed at the flashes. Someone whose rifle had jammed was loading for

There were four or five of us round this side. It was obvious what we must
do. We must drag the sand-bags from the front parapet and make a barricade
across the unprotected side. And we had got to be quick. The fire was high at
present, but they might lower it at any moment; by the flashes all round I could
see that we had a hundred or two hundred men against us. We began wrenching the
sand-bags loose, carrying them twenty yards forward and dumping them into a
rough heap. It was a vile job. They were big sand-bags, weighing a hundredweight
each and it took every ounce of your strength to prise them loose; and then the
rotten sacking split and the damp earth cascaded all over you, down your neck
and up your sleeves. I remember feeling a deep horror at everything: the chaos,
the darkness, the frightful din, the slithering to and fro in the mud, the
struggles with the bursting sand-bags--all the time encumbered with my rifle,
which I dared not put down for fear of losing it. I even shouted to someone as
we staggered along with a bag between us: 'This is war! Isn't it bloody?'
Suddenly a succession of tall figures came leaping over the front parapet. As
they came nearer we saw that they wore the uniform of the Shock Troopers, and we
cheered, thinking they were reinforcements. However, there were only four of
them, three Germans and a Spaniard.

We heard afterwards what had happened to the Shock Troopers. They did not
know the ground and in the darkness had been led to the wrong place, where they
were caught on the Fascist wire and numbers of them were shot down. These were
four who had got lost, luckily for themselves. The Germans did not speak a word
of English, French, or Spanish. With difficulty and much gesticulation we
explained what we were doing and got them to help us in building the

The Fascists had brought up a machine-gun now. You could see it spitting like
a squib a hundred or two hundred yards away; the bullets came over us with a
steady, frosty crackle. Before long we had flung enough sand-bags into place to
make a low breastwork behind which the few men who were on this side of the
position could lie down and fire. I was kneeling behind them. A mortar-shell
whizzed over and crashed somewhere in no man's land. That was another danger,
but it would take them some minutes to find our range. Now that we had finished
wrestling with those beastly sand-bags it was not bad fun in a way; the noise,
the darkness, the flashes approaching, our own men blazing back at the flashes.
One even had time to think a little. I remember wondering whether I was
frightened, and deciding that I was not. Outside, where I was probably in less
danger, I had been half sick with fright. Suddenly there was another shout that
the Fascists were closing in. There was no doubt about it this time, the
rifle-flashes were much nearer. I saw a flash hardly twenty yards away.
Obviously they were working their way up the communication-trench. At twenty
yards they were within easy bombing range; there were eight or nine of us
bunched together and a single well-placed bomb would blow us all to fragments.
Bob Smillie, the blood running down his face from a small wound, sprang to his
knee and flung a bomb. We cowered, waiting for the crash. The fuse fizzled red
as it sailed through the air, but the bomb failed to explode. (At least a
quarter of these bombs were duds'). I had no bombs left except the Fascist ones
and I was not certain how these worked. I shouted to the others to know if
anyone had a bomb to spare. Douglas Moyle felt in his pocket and passed one
across. I flung it and threw myself on my face. By one of those strokes of luck
that happen about once in a year I had managed to drop the bomb almost exactly
where the rifle had flashed. There was the roar of the explosion and then,
instantly, a diabolical outcry of screams and groans. We had got one of them,
anyway; I don't know whether he was killed, but certainly he was badly hurt.
Poor wretch, poor wretch! I felt a vague sorrow as I heard him screaming. But at
the same instant, in the dim light of the rifle-flashes, I saw or thought I saw
a figure standing near the place where the rifle had flashed. I threw up my
rifle and let fly. Another scream, but I think it was still the effect of the
bomb. Several more bombs were thrown. The next rifle-flashes we saw were a long
way off, a hundred yards or more. So we had driven them back, temporarily at

Everyone began cursing and saying why the hell didn't they send us some
supports. With a sub-machine-gun or twenty men with clean rifles we could hold
this place against a battalion. At this moment Paddy Donovan, who was
second-in-command to Benjamin and had been sent back for orders, climbed over
the front parapet.

'Hi! Come on out of it! All men to retire at once!'


'Retire! Get out of it!'


'Orders. Back to our own lines double-quick.'

People were already climbing over the front parapet. Several of them were
struggling with a heavy ammunition box. My mind flew to the telescope which I
had left leaning against the parapet on the other side of the position. But at
this moment I saw that the four Shock Troopers, acting I suppose on some
mysterious orders they had received beforehand, had begun running up the
communication-trench. It led to the other Fascist position and--if they got
there--to certain death. They were disappearing into the darkness. I ran after
them, trying to think of the Spanish for 'retire'; finally I shouted, 'Atras!
Atras!' which perhaps conveyed the right meaning. The Spaniard understood it and
brought the others back. Paddy was waiting at the parapet.

'Come on, hurry up.'

'But the telescope!'

'B--the telescope! Benjamin's waiting outside.'

We climbed out. Paddy held the wire aside for me. As soon as we got away from
the shelter of the Fascist parapet we were under a devilish fire that seemed to
be coming at us from every direction. Part of it, I do not doubt, came from our
own side, for everyone was firing all along the line. Whichever way we turned a
fresh stream of bullets swept past; we were driven this way and that in the
darkness like a flock of sheep. It did not make it any easier that we were
dragging a captured box of ammunition--one of those boxes that hold 1750 rounds
and weigh about a hundredweight--besides a box of bombs and several Fascist
rifles. In a few minutes, although the distance from parapet to parapet was not
two hundred yards and most of us knew the ground, we were completely lost. We
found ourselves slithering about in a muddy field, knowing nothing except that
bullets were coming from both sides. There was no moon to go by, but the sky was
growing a little lighter. Our lines lay east of Huesca; I wanted to stay where we
were till the first crack of dawn showed us which was east and which was west;
but the others were against it. We slithered onwards, changing our direction
several times and taking it in turns to haul at the ammunition-box. At last we
saw the low flat line of a parapet looming in front of us. It might be ours or
it might be the Fascists'; nobody had the dimmest idea which way we were going.
Benjamin crawled on his belly through some tall whitish weed till he was about
twenty yards from the parapet and tried a challenge. A shout of 'Poum!' answered
him. We jumped to our feet, found our way along the parapet, slopped once more
through the irrigation ditch--splash-gurgle!--and were in safety.

Kopp was waiting inside the parapet with a few Spaniards. The doctor and the
stretchers were gone. It appeared that all the wounded had been got in except
Jorge and one of our own men, Hiddlestone by name, who were missing. Kopp was
pacing up and down, very pale. Even the fat folds at the back of his neck were
pale; he was paying no attention to the bullets that streamed over the low
parapet and cracked close to his head. Most of us were squatting behind the
parapet for cover. Kopp was muttering. 'Jorge! Cogno! Jorge!' And then in
English. 'If Jorge is gone it is terreeble, terreeble!' Jorge was his personal
friend and one of his best officers. Suddenly he turned to us and asked for five
volunteers, two English and three Spanish, to go and look for the missing men.
Moyle and I volunteered with three Spaniards.

As we got outside the Spaniards murmured that it was getting dangerously
light. This was true enough; the sky was dimly blue. There was a tremendous
noise of excited voices coming from the Fascist redoubt. Evidently they had
re-occupied the place in much greater force than before. We were sixty or
seventy yards from the parapet when they must have seen or heard us, for they
sent over a heavy burst of fire which made us drop on our faces. One of them
flung a bomb over the parapet--a sure sign of panic. We were lying in the
grass, waiting for an opportunity to move on, when we heard or thought we heard
--I have no doubt it was pure imagination, but it seemed real enough at the time
--that the Fascist voices were much closer. They had left the parapet and were
coming after us. 'Run!' I yelled to Moyle, and jumped to my feet. And heavens,
how I ran! I had thought earlier in the night that you can't run when you are
sodden from head to foot and weighted down with a rifle and cartridges; I
learned now you can always run when you think you have fifty or a hundred armed
men after you. But if I could run fast, others could run faster. In my flight
something that might have been a shower of meteors sped past me. It was the
three Spaniards, who had been in front. They were back to our own parapet before
they stopped and I could catch up with them. The truth was that our nerves were
all to pieces. I knew, however, that in a half light one man is invisible where
five are clearly visible, so I went back alone. I managed to get to the outer
wire and searched the ground as well as I could, which was not very well, for I
had to lie on my belly. There was no sign of Jorge or Hiddlestone, so I crept
back. We learned afterwards that both Jorge and Hiddlestone had been taken to
the dressing-station earlier. Jorge was lightly wounded through the shoulder.
Hiddlestone had received a dreadful wound--a bullet which travelled right up
his left arm, breaking the bone in several places; as he lay helpless on the
ground a bomb had burst near him and torn various other parts of his body. He
recovered, I am glad to say. Later he told me that he had worked his way some
distance lying on his back, then had clutched hold of a wounded Spaniard and
they had helped one another in.

It was getting light now. Along the line for miles around a ragged
meaningless fire was thundering, like the rain that goes on raining after a
storm. I remember the desolate look of everything, the morasses of mud, the
weeping poplar trees, the yellow water in the trench-bottoms; and men's
exhausted faces, unshaven, streaked with mud, and blackened to the eyes with
smoke. When I got back to my dug--out the three men I shared it with were
already fast sleep. They had flung themselves down with all their equipment on
and their muddy rifles clutched against them. Everything was sodden, inside the
dug--out as well as outside. By long searching I managed to collect enough chips
of dry wood to make a tiny fire. Then I smoked the cigar which I had been
hoarding and which, surprisingly enough, had not got broken during the

Afterwards we learned that the action had been a success, as such things go.
It was merely a raid to make the Fascists divert troops from the other side of
Huesca, where the Anarchists were attacking again. I had judged that the
Fascists had thrown a hundred or two hundred men into the counter-attack, but a
deserter told us later on that it was six hundred. I dare say he was lying--
deserters, for obvious reasons, often try to curry favour. It was a great pity
about the telescope. The thought of losing that beautiful bit of loot worries me
even now.

< Back
Forward >

Index Index

  • Other Authors:    
> Charles Darwin
> Charles Dickens
> Mark Twain
> William Shakespeare

George Orwell. Copyright 2003,
Contact the webmaster
Disclaimer here. Privacy Policy here.